Friday, September 7, 2007

No Pasta High Today

I finally got around to making a batch of tomato sauce. This is no ordinary tomato sauce either. I make it with the tomatoes that Shelna and I canned ourselves. I use organic garlic, shallots, basil and parsley all lovely picked from my garden. I simmer it for hours and when it finishes cooking it is like the angels themselves have kissed it for just the right amount of sweetness.

So there I am salivating over the though of eating my first bowl of pasta tossed with my own sauce with delicate sprinkle with Romano cheese. I start to reminiscing as to how much pleasure I got when eating such wonderful food. Gingerly, I start to eat and wait for signs that my pouch is okay. No problem, and so I eat a bit more. I gleefully went through my 1/2 cup of pasta. And then I just sat there.

Suddenly I realized there the afterglow that I have always felt after eating pasta was not there. In fact, other than being pleased with the fact that I didn't throw up, there is really no sensation at all. Don't get me wrong, the flavour was out of this world, but the calmness and sense of satiation was missing.

I can't begin to tell you how disappointing it was. My favorite food had become mundane. There was no pasta high for me and I don't know if I will every have one again. I am so sad.