Friday, October 19, 2007

Scope Results

Since I spent most of last weekend in the emergency room, Dr. Hagen decided to move up my scope from Oct. 24 to Oct 17. So here are the results. Dr. Hagen found that the junction between the pouch and the small intestine had indeed become a stricture and had closed up to a "tight fit". (I think Dr. Hagen didn't want to tell me how much it closed up because I was extremely nervous about the whole procedure.) He was able to dilate the stricture to 12mm. This, I was happy about.

However, I was unhappy about the process. I guess my gag reflexes had become so sensitive that, even after I had been sedated, I kept trying to throw up the tubes that were in my throat during the procedure. I woke up several times gagging and keenly aware of a reddish/brown pool of liquid coming out of my mouth and collecting on the cloth under my face. It was not pleasant. After the procedure, I discovered that my throat had been scraped up quite badly and I have been having a really difficult time swallowing.

In regards to the success of the dilatation though, you will be happy to know that food (and water) are now staying down. Since I haven't eaten is so long I am having a bit to trouble with the sensation of solid food in my stomach. It feels really heavy and is uncomfortable.

As for the future, there is a possibility that the junction could tighten up again. If I begin to feel pain or begin throwing up again, I am to call Dr. Hagen and arrange to meet him at the hospital for a second dilation. Let's just hope that this does not happen. I would really like things to go a bit more smoothly from now on.