Friday, April 11, 2008

It's all about the numbers

Since I was diagnosed with Crohn's 17 years ago, I have had to go in for blood work every three months. Once the diabetes developed, more test were tacked on to my already long list of things to check for. This may all come to and end! Do I hear a Whoo Hoo! coming on?

I have lost so much weight that my endocrinologist no longer thinks that I am a diabetic and has ordered a glucose tolerance test. Basically, I go to the lab and drink a very sugary drink. Then the technician samples my blood over a period of two hours. If my body is able to process the sugar normally, I am no longer a diabetic! As for the Crohn's, well, I am still in remission! I have stopped taking all of the immune suppressing drugs that helped control the Cronh's disease and so far there have been no problems. Since I am not taking any of the potentially harmful drugs, I no longer have to have the status of my liver checked. All in all, in a few months, I might only have to have blood work done only twice a year. Imagine that!

As for my current numbers (all without the aid of medication) they are:
HA1C was 5.36 normal is below 7
Blood Pressure 112/71 normal is 130/80
LDL was 2.9 normal is 2.5
HDL was 3.9 normal is 3.9

I am so normal! Brilliant!