Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It hurts! But not where you'd think.

As you may recollect, the lower body lift is a removal of a "belt" of skin that encircles the waist. My belt ended up weighting 10lbs with the removal of another 2lbs by liposuction. (Brenda's husband, Eric, called it a body circumcision LOL). Not a small amount of tissue loss by any stretch of the imagination.

I really thought that the incision that encircled my body would be the thing that hurt the most, but I am here to swear to you that I don't even notice it. What is killing me is a combination of couching stitching and a deep cough that I have developed. Let me back track.

When they remove the belt of skin they liposuction away the extra fat that is between the skin and the muscle on the upper abdominal wall so that the new “tummy” lays flat. However, in order to make sure that the tummy stays flat (and to reduce the area in which fluids can build up between the muscle and the fat), the surgeon places hundreds of stitches holding the two layers together (kind of like when you see a pillow with a button holding both sides together). Now that alone doesn't really hurt either, and let's just say, I freely use my pain medication. The problem is that I have a dog allergy and the recovery centre has three dogs. I did not not know about the dogs until I got here (and really, it has been years since this particular allergy has caused me a problem). Anyway, my allergies kicked in; the itchy eyes, itchy throat, itchy ear canals, a runny nose and a deep, deep phlegmy cough. This cough is the killer because I am using the low abdominal muscles jut above the pubis that is all stitched to the underside of my skin! Let's see, on a scale of 1 – 10, when I cough I hit a nine.

I have started taking allergy pills and codeine (which is a natural cough suppressant) in efforts to control the coughing. I must say that this has been working. However, the other concern to me is not just the coughing. Because I am so sedentary and I have all this fluid in my lungs, I run the risk of phenomena, So I am trying to make sure that I cough, but in a more controlled way that doesn't cause so much pain. I will be seeing the doctor on Friday to confirm that all is going well.

In all honesty, I can say, to date, that this has been the most uncomfortable thing I have had to deal with. Count you blessings when the come, I say. It could have been a lost worst.

1 comment:

Haley said...

you've been QUILTED! i hope you're taking documentary photos with all the gory details, the whole thing sounds fascinating!